If you need to undergo heart surgery, you may have many questions. The heart team at St. Joseph's Hospital Heart Institute is here for you throughout your entire health care experience. We designed our Heart Institute with one goal in mind: To provide you with excellent, advanced surgical care that will improve your quality of life.
Heart Surgery in Tampa, FL
Our Heart Institute allows us to provide an unprecedented level of care for our patients. We use the most sophisticated equipment available, including high-resolution imaging devices and minimally invasive surgical technology. Learn more about our Heart Institute.
We provide surgical care that is:
- Advanced. Our hybrid operating suite allows us to perform complex procedures, including minimally invasive aortic valve surgery and minimally invasive lung surgery procedures.
- Efficient. We streamlined our procedure rooms to minimize patient and physician movement. The flow of the rooms allows for maximum efficiency, so your surgeon and surgical team can focus only on you.
- Centralized. All of our heart care takes place in one area. This means that if we need to move a patient from a catheterization lab to an operating room, there is no delay or transport time. In addition, our heart experts are all working in one place, promoting teamwork and communication.
- Personalized. No two patients are alike. When you come to us, we work with you to create an individualized surgical treatment plan that offers you the best outcome. We take into account your specific condition, general health and personal preferences.
- Collaborative. Collaboration and communication are central to our patient care philosophy. Your heart team will probably involve many heart specialists. This team meets regularly to discuss your care and make treatment recommendations.
Heart Surgery: Our Team
We don't just perform surgery; we practice patient-centered care. Your outcome, satisfaction and safety are the core of all we do. Our team uses the most advanced surgical techniques to improve and prolong your life. We combine this technology with the expertise of our heart team, including:
- Cardiac surgeons
- Cardiac anesthesiologists
Meet our cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons.
Cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons:
- Jack Messina, MD, cardiovascular surgery
- Andrew Sherman, MD, cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
- Michael W. Bradner, MD, cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
Cardiac Surgery: Procedures We Perform
We use surgery to treat a wide range of heart conditions, from arrhythmias to cardiovascular disease to congenital heart defects. Learn more about conditions we treat.
Cardiothoracic procedures we provide include:
- Aortic aneurysm repair
- Aortic valve repair
- Aortic valve replacement
- Atrial septal defect (ASD) and patent foramen closures (PFO)
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) on-pump (using a heart-lung machine)
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CAB) off-pump ("beating heart surgery")
- Hybrid ablation procedure (Convergent procedure)
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD)
- Maze treatment
- Micro-maze treatment
- Minimally invasive heart surgery
- Minimally invasive aortic valve repair
- Mitral valve repair
- Mitral valve replacement
- Open heart surgery
- Pericardial window
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Tricuspid valve repair surgery
- Tricuspid valve replacement surgery
- Valve repair surgery
- Valve replacement surgery
- Endovascular stent (no graft)
- Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)
- Thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair (TEVAR)
- Peripheral vascular surgery
- Thoracic endovascular stent
For more information or for a physician referral call (813) 644-4322. Get directions to our facility.